On July 16th, JSC will host a celebration honoring the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. The event will begin at 11 a.m. and conclude at 2 p.m. The parade will begin at the Gilruth and end in the
horseshoe in front of Building 1. Stake out
your viewing spot along the route from 2nd street to Ave D to
Following the parade, there
will be a car viewing and photo opportunity, as well as food trucks by Building
2. Stick around for music, moon pies and memories. Dress in your best 60’s
attire – best outfits will win a prize! Apollo alumni will be recognized.
- Apollo Era Car Parade: Vehicles from the 60's and 70's will drive across campus, starting at the Gilruth and concluding at the Building 1 horseshoe. The cars will then be on display for employees to walk around and view.
- Food Trucks: At the conclusion of the parade, there will be food trucks to pick from to get a tasty meal and socialize with other team members, celebrating a historic milestone and preparing to return to the Surface of the Moon in 2024.
- Music: There will be a DJ, yard games, and lots of excitement around building 1 to enjoy while you eat lunch.
- Group Photos: There will be a team photo with all JSC employees in front of building 1 as well as a photo of Apollo alumni who come to celebrate.
- Costume Contest: There will be a costume contest for the best Apollo-era outfit.
- Games: There will be yard games and friendly competition taking over the horseshoe.
- Moon Pies: Event attendees will be able to get festive with a Moon Pie treat!
- MORE: Exhibitions will be taking place from Kendra Scott and their NASA collaboration line, Microsoft with AR/VR and others across the Teague. Microsoft will be bringing 8 Xbox game units
with space themed games, 3 Augmented Reality Holo lens units with space themed
experiences, and 3 Mixed Reality Headsets with a Walt Cunningham (Apollo 7)
interview experience and space themed experiences.
*Media may be present at the event and activities.
Schedule of Events
11-11:30 a.m. Apollo Era Car Parade
11:45 a.m. Mark Geyer and others will speak in front of building 1.
11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. The cars will be displayed at the building 1 horseshoe.
11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Food Trucks, DJ and more at the horseshoe outside of building 1.
What to Know
- Wear your favorite vintage NASA swag or 60's theme apparel.